Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Wisdom tooth ; To extract or not?

   To be honest, this is not my first time to blog. I've had A FEW blogs previously but just got to delete them ALL cause first and foremost I'd like to change my blogging style and try to write on a more serious things??? Secondly I don't want my patients to question my credibility once they found my blog cause yups, I do write about nonsense and cringy things like ALOT in the past. And last but not least, is because my previous blogs are nothing but a complete trash guys..seriously. It was all about "dear diary this..", "dear diary that.." back then..

   So, this time around I am not going to write about myself for my first blogpost cause u know it's just #toocliche. Instead, I'll write about wisdom tooth cause I do think that this is a very interesting topic to discuss hehe. Oh, and I also received alot of questions regarding wisdom tooth..second after denture and teeth whitening obviously..

   Well, basically wisdom teeth or geraham bongsu are the third and last molars to erupt on each side of our jaws. Usually they appear when a person is in their late teens or early twenties; commonly in between the ages of 17 and 25. Normal adults will have 4 wisdom teeth (2 upper, 2 lower) but don't be scared if you don't have all four of them cause it is also possible to have fewer or more wisdom. The wisdoms are often erupt through the gums without any symptoms but sometimes the process will cause you some degree of pain and tenderness along with mild discomfortness.

   Now, should you really have your wisdom teeth removed? Oral surgery to remove wisdom teeth can be considered as a standard practice these days. However, it's not mandatory for you to get your wisdom teeth removed if they are correctly positioned in your mouth and do not cause any pain or dental problems. Your dentist will only recommend you to have them removed if they are impacted or cause crowding in your teeth. And even if you were asked to remove your wisdom, I can assure you that the process itself is not as painful or scary as they were told. I, myself have removed 2 of my wisdom by normal extraction last year and alhamdulillah everything went very well ;)

  "Is it possible to remove all four of your wisdom teeth at once?" 

   Dear, this is actually depends on you. Actually, many people have all four of their wisdom teeth taken out at once and sometimes this surgery is performed even before the teeth have started coming in to prevent any problems in the future as the wisdoms are very popular as the "problematic tooth" by many. And frankly speak, I think it is better for you to have your wisdom teeth taken out before you turn 21 as the surgery is usually less complicated and more easy. Your tissue and bone also heal better and faster during that age. But again, the choices are yours!

   One of the most famous issue to be discussed after you have decided to get your wisdom remove is definitely it's cost. The cost of removing wisdom tooth is actually depends on the nature of the surgical extraction itself (normally, a minor surgery will cost you a bit more than the normal extraction) and normally the fees are already includes the cost of local anesthesia and follow up visits (if needed).  As far as I know, in Malaysia you can get your wisdom teeth extracted with as low as RM 20 at the government clinics while in private the charges are quite pricey and they varies accordingly, starting from RM 500 up to RM 1000++.

No comments:

Post a Comment